.....

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Coming Back Slowly

I'm still recovering from my prolonged illness with bronchitis. I haven't been this sick in a long time. Mostly, I stayed in bed (literally!), slept and ate toast with tea. Not a very fun way to pass a week.

Last night, after a nap, I went to the gym for my first work out with my trainer since I got sick. It was frustrating to have to work out so slowly in between coughing fits. It was disheartening to discover how weak I still was.

But Tracy the Trainer spelled it out for me: this is a lifestyle. You will get sick. You will get injured. The important thing is to stay focused and return to exercise in a way that is sustainable. There is no end goal. Exercise itself -- no matter how easy or hard -- is the goal.

What perspective! And a valuable lesson I desperately needed to hear.

No comments: