.....

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Facing the Truth

I went to my family doctor on Friday for a regular check-up. I went in feeling great, having lost 10 pounds and gotten into the habit of exercise six days per week. I left feeling upset and defeated because I was made to face the truth.

For a seriously overweight person, I've been blessed to remain fairly healthy. However, in the past year, my years of food abuse have caught up with me. Health problems have started cropping up. And that became even more sharply focused on Friday. After going over the results of some blood work, the doctor announced that I have fatty liver disease. My liver (and probably other organs) are so packed with fat that they are no longer functioning at their normal level. It's putting a tremendous strain on my body.

And, for the first time in my life, a high number showed up when my blood pressure was taken. Uh oh.

It was a lot to take in. And made me feel tremendously sad for what I had done to myself. But, I was also glad to have the information before it was too late. Both fatty liver disease and pre-hypertension are revesible and I'm track to make that happen.

So take a lesson from me: if you've been putting off going to the doctor because you are overweight, make an appointment today and go. The life you save may be your own. It's time to face the truth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As we learned from Schoolhouse Rock: knowledge is power.

Sad to hear the news Ms Jill. Glad though that you are already on course correct - and taking major steps - keep it up hon! Will plan a visit to doc myself. Jo

Anonymous said...

Remember Jill, you are not alone. We are all in this together and we all learn from each other. You are doing great things by exercising and losing weight. We are all in the same boat, rowing together.
Love,
Marty