.....

Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Shift in Perspective

Like many people who struggle with obesity, I have sleep apnea. This is a sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. The result is chronic tiredness, obviously, but the problem can also lead to bigger problems like heart attacks, strokes, high blood pressure and diabetes. It’s common in overweight people, but isn’t limited to them. I know several very thin people who struggle with this problem.

The treatment is usually a breathing device called a CPAP that is worn while sleeping. The machine forces pressurized air into the breathing ways, keeping the throat from collapsing and stopping breathing. That’s all good, but the device is unsightly and uncomfortable. Not a joy to wear. So, I’m practicing a shift in perspective. Each night when I put on my CPAP before sleep, I’m telling myself that it is a high-tech training gadget that will dramatically enhance my sleep, allowing my muscles to heal and get stronger as I train for the half-marathon.

It seems to be working. I’m wearing my CPAP more often for longer amounts of time. And I’m better rested, which, no surprise, is indeed enhancing my training. All it took was a little shift in perspective.

No comments: