.....

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Liberation

Perhaps, like me, you're prone to falling prey to dieting mentality. I check out diet books from the library. I leaf through weight-loss magazines at the book store. I buy stacks of books promising the next easy way to drop pounds.
No more.

I put the magazines in the recycling bin, returned the library books and sold my books at the used bookstore. It's been wildly liberating!

I don't need to read any more advice. I know what to do (and I bet you do, too!). Eat moderate amounts of real food -- vegetables, fruit, whole grains, nuts, beans and some low-fat dairy, an egg or a small piece of meat every once in a while -- and move off the couch.

Holistic dietician Maya Nahra said it best: "There's so much information out there about losing weight, especially losing it fast and easy, that we forget that weight loss comes down to calories."

Simple, really. So how many calories do we need? Everyone is different. I found out my target range here and you can, too. It's just one more way to liberate ourselves from the mental slavery of the diet industry.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I relate is everyway. I am keeping a close eye on your blog and cheering for you everyday. Thanks for sharing so openly and honestly. It helps me, too.